Wow! We are very lucky. Other than many trees down and power outages for many, we did pretty well. Check out the pictures I took this morning.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=75vyacyh.67lhlppx&Uy=jpfzbi&Ux=0
The news coming out of New Orleans is dreadful. All the patients from the Charity Hospital in New Orleans were evacuated to the Superdome and the arena because gas lines were leaking. Many gas lines are broken and fires burning across the city. The 30000 people in the Superdome are basicly now on an island with several feet of water at street level. Over night a canal was breached near Bucktown which is at the edge of Lake Pontchartrain and now water is flooding Lakeview area all the way down to City Park. I just heard that the water is rising in the CBD now at the rate of a foot in one half hour. I don't know where that water is coming from. My cell phone is not working. Apparently the circuits that are still working are completely overloaded. There have been about 700 rescued from their roof or attic by calling a radio station using their cell phone and giving their location as the 911 system was out. I dread the stories that we will hear and see in the coming days. There are so many people from New Orleans here in BR watching the news video in disbelief desperately trying to see the fate of their nieghborhoods. They will not be able to return for some time.
You will see in the pictures that Rob and I were in Ocean Springs last weekend. The house we stayed in is probably gone. We drove home on Rt. 90 and I am hearing that 90 is essentially gone or impassible. It was so beautiful and reminded me of the time we stayed in a statley home right there across from the beach in Gulfport I think. I was twelve years old.
Goodbye loves for now, Sara
1 comment:
Glad to hear baton rouge is okay! I stayed up all night watching the incoming information on the BBC and it did not look pretty. We are having a whale of a time getting money transferred so we can buy our van in which we will live, so we can get the hell out of Auckland. So, Sara, check your email.
Post a Comment